Operation at the airport started at May 1966, the state allocated 102 thousand Egyptian pounds for the preparation of Hurghada airport to be capable of receiving jets carrying tourists; to meet the desire of the travel agencies, as the aircrafts traveling from Europe can land there directly, instead of landing at Cairo and traveling to Hurghada, but after the war of 1967, the airport was allocated for the military efforts till the victory of October 1973.
The authority prepared and operated part of the airport at November 1977 for the civil aviation flights.
Located at 6 km away from Hurghada city
· A terminal of surface area 6400 m2, and was expanded to reach surface area of 15534 m2
· It contains two halls for performing the traveling procedures, both of total surface area 3500 m2, the international travel hall is 4500 m2 surface area, the domestic travel hall is about 346 m2, the international arrival hall is about 1575 m2 and the domestic arrival hall is 1350 m2.
· The capacity of the terminal is about 2500 passengers per hour.
Services and facilities:
Mosque, large range of duty free shopping and souvenirs, about 41 retail outlets and bazaars, cafes, restaurants, fast food, children's playground, baggage packaging, machines, about 46 tourism and aviation offices, internet, banking, scales, missed baggage offices, quarantine, and car parking.