It was established at 1949 when there was a great attention of pilgrims' travel by air, where their medical procedures were conducted at their arrival. They were being transferredrom Jeddah to El Tor airport with Saudi Arabian aircrafts, then the Egyptian aircrafts transfers them to Almaza airport after spending the quarantine period as preventive procedures to avoid getting infected.
The airport was operated for the domestic and international air traffic that was over rated during the pilgrimage season but Eltor airport operation was stopped after the Israeli's occupation of Sinai.
And then it was re-operated in 1984 for the domestic flights, where it acquired its importance as being located at ElTor city, the capital of south Sinai.
The airport is located at about 3 km north Tor Sinai city
· The airport contains a terminal includes an arrival and a departure hall both with aapacity of 200 passengers per hour
· Includes also a main runway of 3 thousand meters long, and 45 meters width.
· It's equipped to receive the aircraft at night, the airport receives small aircrafts, includes an apron for five medium aircrafts.