Constructed in May 1956, of about half million Egyptian pounds cost for the tourism absorption at Aswan .The airport was operating only for the morning shifts But, in 1982 it was supplied with illumination equipments to ensure operations for 24/24.
Many additions took place in the airport (prepared halls) for the passengers increase absorption (International hall, Abu Simbel hall). In 1992 according to the sudden increase of the tourists a new terminal was constructed on about12000 m² surface area with the maximum capacity of (3200 passenger /hour)
The total area of the buildings and the services reaches 60 Fadden which is about 252000 m² of cost 250 million Egyptian pounds. The President Mubarak inaugurated the terminal in May 1999.
The airport is located at about 20 km west from Aswan city
- The airport's area is about 18099969 m2
- It encloses the international travel hall and its services
- It encloses also local travel hall and its services
- The capacity of the terminal is 3200 passenger/hour
- The departure hall capacity is 465 passenger per hour
- The arrival hall capacity is 1491 passenger per hour
- The total capacity is 776 passenger per hour
Services and facilities:
Mosque, large range of duty free shopping and souvenirs, retail outlets and bazaars, cafes, restaurants, fast food, children's playground, baggage packaging, machines, tourism and aviation offices , banking, scales, missed baggage offices, quarantine, and car parking.