It was constructed to be used as a military base at the west of Alexandria, its location was chosen beside Marriot lake to be an airport and seaport at the same time, the airport consists of four cross runways in the middle, in the form of the British flag; so as to be easily recognized by the British aircrafts' pilots, so that the airport was established according to the nature of the soil at this region as it is fragile soil, may be the choice of this land according to these specifications was because the nature was because the aircrafts at that time were light and small in size.
The airport was handed over to the Egyptian civil aviation authority in 1945 by the British royal air force, and this was after the end of the world war ∏, at which extensive studies were done to solve the problems of the airports' land, results in developing and restoring the airport runways.
It is located at 7 km away from Alexandria
· The airport includes a terminal contains international arrival and departure halls with the capacity of 600 passengers per hour.
· The airport is also equipped with night lighting system, main runway with a stand for medium aircrafts operating 24 hours.
· It's with a full capacity of 18 aircrafts
Services and facilities:
Mosque, duty free shopping and souvenirs, cafes, restaurants, fast food, baggage packaging, machines, tourism and aviation offices, banking, scales, missed baggage offices, quarantine, and car parking.